About Summit View INC.
About Summit View
Welcome to Summit View Elementary School! It is one of 13 elementary schools in the School District of Waukesha. Summit View opened in the fall of 1992. It is the largest elementary school in the School District of Waukesha with a small community feel as we strive to know and enhance each child's unique qualities.
Settled into the surrounding acres of landscape, Summit View Elementary INC exudes creative energy. Our student body of 500 students from the neighboring community and beyond, create this energy with the support of student’s peers, teachers, families, and community partners. Our focus of integrated arts, design, and creativity continuously attracts families from outside the attendance area. That is because the arts support the academic goals of our students at levels unmatched by any other school. The innovation of the instructional practices support the personalization of every student’s education journey.
Instruction at Summit View follows the rigorous literacy, math, and science curriculum of the School District of Waukesha. Our teacher’s instructional practices are enriched by their continuous development in the areas of arts integration, technology, and personalized learning. The setting of the school, with its’ surrounding landscape and wooded areas, enhances this optimal learning environment and allows students to demonstrate their learning in various learning modalities.
Outside the large group, small group, and one-on-one instruction that occur within the classroom, our students are immersed in art, music, and movement. These areas of development are both outside of the general education classroom setting and integrated within. We also offer opportunities for students to develop their interests in the areas of band, string, broadcasting, engineering, drama, film, gardening, cross country, swim, and world languages, among others.
Educating students at the highest level of brain function - creativity - produces statewide academic results consistently above the state and district averages. Because of our arts focus, our school community benefits from local and national partnerships. The First Stage Children’s Theater, and the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts are two such partners.
Our staff is dedicated to the growth and development of the whole child (academic, social, and emotional). We are driven to meet the academic goals set for your child and track her/his social-emotional levels and needs. We rely on the partnerships created with our parents, guardians, and families to support these goals and are encouraged by the growing alumni that visit to share their stories of success in middle school and beyond!
We look forward to partnering with you on your child’s education,
Garrett Sheskey, Principal
Why Summit View Inc?
- Band and Orchestra available to all fifth grade students.
- Consistent high level instruction in Foss Science and Common Core Standards in Math and Literacy
- Integrated Arts is an approach to teaching where students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form.
- Students engage in a creative process that connects an art form and science, math, literacy, social studies, and technology to meet evolving objectives in both
- Summit View offers many complementary enrichment opportunities surrounding the school day including: filmmaking, drama, piano instruction, String Academy and broadcasting club
- Students will engage in innovative learning activities that build focus, engagement, collaboration, and include problem solving reflection, and hands on experiences
- Classroom teachers provide instruction using interactive, imaginative and integrated methods
- In a 21st century economy there is a 77% increase in the need for critical thinking skills and a 74% increase in the need for creativity innovation skills
- To thrive in this rapidly changing world, people will need to have the skills to synthesize their knowledge into something novel and useful = be creative