Work Permit

Work Permit Guidelines & Requirements

  • Work Permit Requirements

    • A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
    • Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.


    Where can I get a Work Permit?

    • Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608) 266-6860 for information on where in your area you may apply for a work permit.  


    NOTE: The permit will not be issued if the work is prohibited by law.


    Work Permit Offices

    How to Obtain a Work Permit - To obtain a work permit, either the minor alone or the minor and a parent must visit the permit officer, taking with them:

    • the minor's birth certificate or other proof of age,
    • the minor's social security card
    • letter from the employer expressing intent to hire, on employer's regular letterhead, describing:
      • job duties,
      • hours of work,
    • a written parents consent
    • $10.00 permit fee


    Proof of Minor's Age

    • We may accept a valid operator's license or an identification card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation as proof of a minor's age. This means that we may now accept either a duly attested birth certificate, a verified baptismal certificate, or a driver’s license or photo ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.


    For the Employer - Permit Fee Requirement

    • The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck.
    • Copies of the permit go to the employer and the minor, in addition to the school district where the minor is enrolled.


    Related Publications