AVID Tutorial Process
A key component of the AVID Elective class is the tutorial process.
- Create a deeper understanding of concepts covered in content classes
- Develop skills necessary to become self-directed learners while increasing collaboration and inquiry
- Tutorials are not homework help
- To push each other's thinking, AVID tutorials utilize an inquiry process. Tutors do not give answers; they facilitate the process through questioning.
- Students reflect on their learning.
How are AVID tutorials different from "tutoring"?
- Students come prepared with specific questions using a tutorial request form
- Students work and discuss in collaborative groups
- Students must reflect on their own participation in the groups and on how the group worked together
- Tutorials are not “homework” help sessions