Open Enrollment (Non-Waukesha Residents)
Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live. The open enrollment application period for the 2022-2023 school year is from February 7, 2022 - April 29, 2022. The application period closes at 4:00 p.m. on April 29, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.
Parents may apply in one of two ways:
- Online (recommended) at https://apps4.dpi.wi.gov/Opal2012/
- Although an online application is recommended, paper applications may be obtained from the Department of Public Instruction or any school district. Paper applications must be delivered to the nonresident school district. School District of Waukesha applications should be sent to Open Enrollment Office - Stephanie Peterson, 222 Maple Ave., Waukesha, WI 53186
Who needs to complete the Open Enrollment process:
- Students currently attending a Waukesha school via Tuition Waiver for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students who have changed residency to a non-Waukesha address between September 1st and February 6th.
- Students planning to move to an address that is outside of the School District of Waukesha between February 7th and September 1, 2022; and wish to stay in the School District of Waukesha. Please Note: families that move unexpectedly after April 29th are able to complete a Tuition Waiver form for the following year.
Open Enrollment Timeline
April 29: Application Period Ends at 4:00 PM
June 10: The nonresident district must notify parents of approval/denial. The notice must be in writing, which can be sent via email.
June 17: The resident district must notify parents if the application is denied (notification of approval is optional). The notice must be in writing which can be sent via email and must include the reason for denial.
June 24: Parents must notify the nonresident district of intent to attend. If a notice is not provided, the nonresident district may determine the pupil cannot attend.
If you have any additional questions regarding Open Enrollment, Tuition Waiver, or School Choice, please contact Stephanie Peterson, Enrollment Coordinator, at 262.970.1105 or via email at email@example.com.