In-District Transfer/School Choice
If you are considering having your child attend a school within the District that is not your neighborhood school, you must complete an In-District Transfer/School Choice Request. If you are interested in more than one school, please fill out a separate application for each school that you are requesting. The school choice application period for the 2020-2021 school year opens at 8:00 a.m., December 1, 2019, and closes at 4:30 p.m., January 10, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
If your child is not currently enrolled in the School District of Waukesha, please complete the enrollment process by January 31, 2020. All enrollment information will be sent to the school of choice once you have been approved to transfer. This does not need to be done before filling out the in-district transfer/school choice application but enrollment should be completed during the months of December and January.
Please note the following:
- Whittier Elementary and Butler Middle Schools are closed for In-District Transfers/School Choice.
- Per SDW Board Policy ag6152, the School District of Waukesha may decline an intra-district transfer until all financial obligations have been met. If your child has any outstanding fees, please have them paid in full by January 10th.
- If you are considering an In-District transfer to attend a specialty school/program such as the Dual Language Program, Compass, FLIGHT there is a separate application that will need completion in addition to the In-District transfer paperwork.
- If you are interested in Quest, you must complete a separate application and live in the Butler Middle School Attendance Area.
- If you are interested in the Montessori School of Waukesha (KG-8th), Waukesha STEM Academy Randall Campus (K-5), Waukesha STEM Academy Saratoga Campus(6-8), Waukesha Engineering Preparatory Academy or the Waukesha Academy of Health Professions, you must complete a separate application. The School choice application is now a part of these applications so you do not need to complete an Intra-District Transfer/School Choice application to attend the Academies.
School Choice Timeline
Please Review the In-District Transfer/School Choice timeline below.
School Choice Timeline for the 2020-2021 School Year
December 1, 2019: School Choice Application Period Opens at 8:00 AM
January 10, 2020: School Choice Applciation Period Ends at 4:30 PM *Late Applications will NOT be accepted.
January 16 & 17, 2020: Secondary School Choice Approval/Denial or Waitlist Letters will be E-mailed home. If your child is approved, you will need to complete the online Commitment Form by clicking the link in the email.
January 24, 2020: Secondary Online Commitment Due. (Failure to complete the online commitment will result in loss of placement at the school of choice)
January 24, 2020: Secondary Appeal Letters Due to the Enrollment Office
January 31, 2020: Secondary School Choice Appeal Decisions will be E-mailed home
March 13, 2020: Elementary School Choice Approval/Denial or Waitlist letters will be E-mailed home. If your child is approved, you will need to complete the online Commitment Form by clicking the link in the email. Failure to complete the online commitment form by the due date will result in loss of placement at the school of choice.
April - August 2020: Elementary & Secondary school choice decisions will be made as seats become available for students on the waiting lists.
Non-Residents of Waukesha
If you do not currently reside in Waukesha and are not currently enrolled in Waukesha through the Open Enrollment program, please fill out an open enrollment application. The open enrollment application period is February 3 - April 30, 2020. Please click the link below to fill out an open enrollment application.
The Open Enrollment Application is available by clicking here.
If you have any additional questions regarding Open Enrollment, Tuition Waiver or School Choice, please contact the Enrollment Office at 262.970.1105 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.