Work Permit Guidelines & Requirements
Work Permit Requirements
- A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
- Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.
Where can I get a Work Permit?
- Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608) 266-6860 for information on where in your area you may apply for a work permit.
NOTE: The permit will not be issued if the work is prohibited by law.
Work Permit Offices
How to Obtain a Work Permit - To obtain a work permit, either the minor alone or the minor and a parent must visit the permit officer, taking with them:
- the minor's birth certificate or other proof of age,
- the minor's social security card
- letter from the employer expressing intent to hire, on employer's regular letterhead, describing:
- job duties,
- hours of work,
- a written parents consent
- a $10.00 permit fee
Proof of Minor's Age
- We may accept a valid operator's license or an identification card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation as proof of a minor's age. This means that we may now accept either a duly attested birth certificate, a verified baptismal certificate, or a driver’s license or photo ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
For the Employer - Permit Fee Requirement
- The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck.
- Copies of the permit go to the employer and the minor, in addition to the school district where the minor is enrolled.
- Work Permit App Instructions
- Guide to Wisconsin's Employment of Minors Laws - For All Youth under 18 years of Age
- Manufacturing & Construction Equipment & Wisconsin's Employment of Minors Laws