Dr. Juan Andrade, Jr. Scholarship
Applicants must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as full-time undergraduate students, in an accredited four-year or two-year institution in the U.S. or U.S. territories, and demonstrate a verifiable need for financial support. At least one parent must be of Hispanic ancestry. Non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply (DACA or Undocumented). Recipients must also be available to attend the 38th USHLI National Conference in Chicago, IL, from February 20-22, 2020.
- Essay Questions
- Tell us about your background – In 500 words or more, submit a self description including your family history (parents/guardian, siblings), life and/or work experiences that have influenced you. Finally, describe your most significant achievement? Did you overcome any obstacles or challenges? If so, how?
- Leadership Essay – Submit a 500-750 word essay on the future of Latinx (Hispanics) in America, the kind of leadership needed, and any role you hope to play in providing such leadership. How will this benefit your community? What can USHLI do to help you achieve your goals?
- Optional Essay – What else would you like to share with us that is relevant to your application being selected for this scholarship?
- Required Documents
- Portrait Picture Applicants must submit a recent photograph (high-resolution, color, size: 2.5 x 3.5 ratios, PNG, JPG, or GIF). The picture should be suitable (headshot) for use in any printed literature announcing the recipients. Selfies are not accepted.
- Resume – Applicants must submit a one-page resume in PDF format of their work experience, academic accomplishments, and other relevant information.
- Unofficial Transcript - Applicants must submit the most updated transcript. (College freshmen please submit your high school transcript). All transcripts must be uploaded as a PDF document in the application.
References - Applicants must submit two (2) letters of recommendation that meet the following requirements: letters should focus on the applicant’s leadership abilities and past academic performance, while also indicating an ability or desire to effectively serve their community. The application will require you to submit your references’ contact information. Once your application is submitted, an email will be sent to your references with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. We require one (1) reference to be from an academic source and one (1) reference to be from a professional or community service setting. Examples may include but are not limited to Teacher, Adviser, Supervisor, Employer, Coach, etc. All letters of recommendation are due November 30, 2019.
Application: CLICK HERE
Application Deadline: November 30, 2019