Hadfield - The Beginning

In 1886, the East and West School Districts were united.  On March 30, 1886, a committee consisting of R.L. Gove, A.J. Frame, Ira Kimball, Isaac Lain and F. H. Putney was appointed to look into the purchase of land for a school house. The question of providing such a building was brought before the annual meeting in July, 1886.  After considerable discussion a committee appointed to investigate sites suitable for school purposes reported the present site on Bell Street consisting of over acre was the best area for a school.  The land was purchased from the Hadfield Company and J.J. Constantine for $2100.  The first unit of the new school was erected at a cost of $8900.  Hadfield School officially opened on January 15, 1888.  The school was named in honor of Joseph Hadfield. 

The building followed the Queen Anne style of architecture.  There were two stories for school purposes with two large rooms in each story.  Each room had a cloakroom and there was also a recitation room on the first floor.

The first principal was Miss Ada Savage.  The first Hadfield teachers were Miss Jennie Flemming, who would become the second Hadfield principal, Miss Bertha Curtis and Miss Ella Grove.  The school was growing and it was thought that it was best to have a gentleman principal so J.K. Lowry was appointed.